Pregnancy Chiropractic in Lakewood
It’s no secret that pregnancy changes a woman’s body. Weight gain, water retention, hormonal imbalance, a change in the center of gravity not to mention growing a new being!. With this dramatic amount of change in a short time period, it’s no wonder many women experience back pain and spinal misalignment during pregnancy. All chiropractors undergo training to care for expectant mothers, and Dr. Julie Peterson is passionate about helping patients who are expecting achieve and maintain whole body comfort and health throughout pregnancy usually resulting an easier pregnancy, easier birth and less medical interference. Contact our team to find out more or schedule an appointment today.
Is it Safe to Visit a Chiropractor during Pregnancy?
Absolutely. Dr. Peterson has years of experience working with pregnant women to achieve superior comfort through pregnancy and after delivery. We use a unique system that allows us to properly align the spine and pelvis in order to relieve nerve interference that may be causing stress on the womb and child. Adjusting the body during pregnancy is a completely safe, healthy way to manage the changes the body undergoes. In the past, women worried that chiropractic care in the third trimester may increase the risk for breech birth. However, recent studies show that women who have infants that present as breech have a higher rate of babies turning when they undergo proper chiropractic care in their third trimester.
Why Should I Visit the Chiropractor While I’m Expecting?
During pregnancy, the woman’s body shifts dramatically. The abdomen extends, the back curves, the pelvis shifts, and posture adjusts to accommodate the changing body. Hormones are released that cause ligaments to stretch and relax. We encourage pregnant women to receive chiropractic care during pregnancy in order to ensure clear communication between the brain and body for optimal health and wellbeing of the mother and child. Some of the reasons we encourage chiropractic during pregnancy include:
- Keeping the spine in its ideal positioning to reduce nerve interference causing pain and discomfort
- Limiting the experience of side effects like water retention and morning sickness
- Keeping the pelvis aligned for optimal comfort during delivery
- Ensuring the baby has space to grow
- Ensuring that the baby has an optimal environment for ideal healthy development
What are the Benefits of Chiropractic Care during Pregnancy?
Like chiropractic care during any other stage of life, pregnancy chiropractic allows patients to achieve their optimal level of health and wellbeing. However, there are a number of benefits specific to pregnancy:
- Keeps the mother and child healthy
- Controls water retention and nausea
- Relieve pain in the back, neck, extremities, and joints
- Prevents uterine constraint due to pelvic misalignment
- Reduced labor and delivery time and decreased potential for cesarean delivery
Headache & Migraine